This week in Ed Tech class we were asked to Google ourselves in incognito mode. The reason for this is to see what the public can see when they Google you. Future employers may Google you, and if something inappropriate comes up, it could be detrimental to the hiring process and your future as a professional educator.

When I Googled myself, many photos associated with abandoned social media sites such as Twitter and TikTok came up. When I realized this, I began deactivating many of these accounts and requesting deletion. Nothing on these accounts was criminal or highly inappropriate, but I found these photos allow me to be perceived in an unprofessional manner as I was quite young when I was posting content on them.

My browser window in incognito mode on google chrome

The next part of this post will be discussing my thoughts on Jesse Millar’s presentation on online citizenship. I really enjoyed Jesse’s presentation and found it to be quite informative. Teachers are held to a high standard in the eye of the public, and the main reason is due to the fact that we work with children and young adults.

One avenue which I did not consider prior to Jesse’s presentation was the use of dating apps and the potential of students lying about their age. Teachers should then be cautious and open about this with admin if they find a student is on a dating app lying about their age.

Overall, I will take Jesse’s ideas and thoughts into consideration when introducing tech the class as well as in my own personal tech use.